2018 was a year of so much learning and growth. As a result, I would like to share with you 5 lessons that I learned in 2018 that I will carry forward into this new year. These 5 teachings are:
1. There is power in being Still- About June of last year, I was ordered to take a break from everything. I say ordered because while stressing over my business and money my husband strongly advised me to stop "efforting" and take some time to just be still. To be perfectly honest this was a tall order. It was difficult at first. However, taking the time to be still helped me to assess if my actions were necessary, required, inspired, or even fun. This time of reflection helped me to shift my focus and lean into my passion, thus I started Connecting to Greatness LLC - Coaching and Counseling. The power in being still is that it brings with it clarity.
2. Self-care is important - It is so important that we practice self-care. You cannot feed anyone from an empty plate. You must first secure your life vest before you can tend to anyone elses. Keep your soul filled to the brim with love, care, and compassion at all times. Find out what rejuvenates you and do it often. Self-care is so essential and it is at times so misunderstood and overlooked, it is not only massages and spa days but also healthy eating, exercise, treating yourself with kindness, setting healthy boundaries, self-advocacy and seeking help when needed.
3. Embrace that you are worthy -Towards the latter part of 2018, a mentor taught me how to negotiate my salary. This was a valuable skill, I had struggled with acquiring because frankly, I had failed to see my worth. At times we are in fear for our survival so we accept offers that are less than we deserve. We settle for what we see instead of being patient for what the Universe has in store for us. We make compromises on our self worth because we don't believe we are worthy. You must begin to understand and accept that you are worthy and deserving of every good thing you desire. Repeat after me," I am worthy." Repeat this affirmation daily.
4. Accept Yourself- I have always been a creative and rebellious spirit. I love to march to the beat of my own drum. I have a lot of fun doing my own thing and can always convince others to join me. As an adolescent, I would organize my rambunctious cousins in the summertime and direct major theatrical performances for my extended family. I've organized protest, pagents, and political campaigns. For many years, I ignored the calling in my belly screaming "entrepreneurship" in my ear. I craved my own path but I didn't know what I would do. So, how could I start? At least, that's what I thought. However, it wasn't until I accepted who I was by responding to the calling that everything fell into place. It was like the Universe was waiting for me to say YES, in order to give me my next step. So, I encourage you to stop trying to fit into spaces you know can't hold you, accept yourself and respond to the calling in your belly.
5. It's okay to ask for help- Last year taught me, it's better if you don't go at it alone if you don't have to. You don't have to. Because we are worthy people are eager to help. There is a misconception that if you seek help or accept it; you are weak. Strong people ask for and accept help from others, plain and simple. It takes tremendous strength to acknowledge that help is needed and then go out and seek it.
What lessons did you learn in 2018? Which lesson listed above will you take with into 2019?